Alright folks. We sent out an email Friday, 3/6, but a lot has changed since then!
I know what you’re thinking – another COVID-19 update from a business I frequent? Yes, that’s exactly what this is. Will they tell me how they’ve stepped up their cleaning and how I should wash my hands? Yes, yes you are correct again.
We want you all to feel as safe and comfortable while you’re training with us. As always, your health and well-being are our biggest concerns. And I know a lot of places will say that, but that’s literally our job. We’re here to help each of you to be more healthy, fit, and confident through your training with us.
We know that COVID-19 is a big concern for many of you. While it’s not up to us to tell you how to react to this situation, we do know that an increasing number of countries, localities, and organizations believe it is serious enough to put lockdown policies in place to limit the spread.
Before you just skim to the bottom of the email, at this time we will continue to hold classes. This isn’t a decision made lightly. We have a large facility that will allow members to space out, we’re cleaning constantly, and putting additional measures in place to limit exposure. The situation is “fluid” as folks keep saying – so we’ll take this all day by day for now.
We emailed our athlete’s some basic expectations several days ago, along with what they can expect from us. FIrst, I wanted to restate and update those for you all:
- We’ll be publishing at home workouts in SugarWOD starting tomorrow. These will require little/no equipment. If you don’t feel comfortable coming in, or as often, but would like to continue to be a part of our community, please follow along! To be prepared, I would highly encourage you to purchase a single dumbbell and jump rope to expand your options.
- We’ve adjusted our cleaning procedures for much more frequent cleanings, including all equipment used after each workout, frequently touched surfaces, and gym floors. We have, and will continue to use appropriate disinfectants that will kill the virus.
- We have spray bottles with disinfectants as well as wipes available and ask athletes to clean their equipment before and after use.
- We have hand sanitizer available in the gym.
- We’ve adjusted programming for this week and on to limit equipment usage to enable easier cleaning, as well as limit close quarters interaction between members of our community.
- Coaches will now be logging members into, so that we don’t have so many people touching the keyboard/mouse.
For our members, please:
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds when you arrive and after you train.
- Avoid touching your face with your hands during your workout.
- If you feel sick, or have been exposed to someone who is, please stay home.
- Maintain 3-6’ of space between you and fellow athletes whenever possible.
- Fist bump, elbow bump, or foot tap for your greeting.
- For the time being, we’re limiting Open Gym hours to during class time ONLY, ending at 5:30pm. We are doing this so that our staff does not need to stay at the gym all day, and so that the 5:30 and 6:30pm RVA Fit class members can have more room to train. To specify, Open Gym is during THESE TIMES ONLY:
For many of you, this is an incredibly stressful situation. There are a lot of unknowns, and we get that. There’s no vaccine or prevention other than what’s been listed above. The best thing you can do right now is take care of yourself.
Turn off the news
Take a walk
Exercise (even if it’s at home or just going for a run/walk)
Get plenty of sleep
Practice your breathing
If at some point we need to cease group classes and/or close the facility entirely, we do have plans in place to continue to deliver great coaching and training.
If you would like, you’re welcome to hold your membership until things blow over. We’re following our existing policies for holds; membership dates will be extended the length of the hold, billing dates will remain the same.
However – we hope that instead you’ll all remain a part of the gym during this time. We’ll continue to help you toward your goals in any way we can, and your support will ensure that our staff is paid and that the gym will continue to thrive after this is all over.